Thursday, July 12, 2007

Potty Training?

I am not really sure how it actually happened but DCis potty trained. She just turned 2 in March but she has been watching T for a while and had always been very interested in what was happening in the bathroom. So, monkey see, monkey do, she wanted to try this "peeing on the potty" thing. The first hurdle was convincing her that she had to sit instead of stand like T. Once we got over that, I just decided we needed to spend a weekend in "potty training boot camp" I cleared our schedule, went out and bought her some of those very thick training pants and got out the rubber pants we used with T. I spent the whole first weekend asking her about every five minutes "do you have to go potty" It went OK the first weekend but I was not comfortable sending her to daycare in her new underwear because I did not think she really got it yet. I am not a huge proponent of the pull-ups since kids know they are diapers so they just go in them like they are diapers. So, on Monday morning I put regular diapers back on her and sent her to school. I let her teacher know what we were working on and encouraged her to let DC sit on the potty when the other kids went. By Thursday she had a dry diaper all day and used the potty successfully all day. So, by the next weekend she was doing really well. She had the occasional accident when she was really busy playing outside but other than that, she did great. Then, the true test came; leaving the house. Since we started this adventure, we only left the house to go to daycare and back. But, we could not be quarantined forever so, out of the house we went. We packed up and went 2 miles down the road to a Max&Erma's-a cute, family friendly, restaurant. I had purchased a little fold up potty seat that you can put on any potty so you don't have to worry about toilet seat covers and other stuff like that. I never really needed something like this for T cause when we were in public I just made him stand with his hands on his head and aim directly into the potty. There was no touching. We never had to worry about him needing to go #2 in public since, well, if you know T, you know why.

So, halfway through dinner, I asked DC if she had to go potty. She nodded her head and off we went. I got out the little potty seat, sat her on it and well, she went. It was amazing. But, standing in the restroom kind of made me have to go too. So, I packed up her potty seat, instructed DC to put her hands on her head, lest she touch something (all kids in public restrooms are intrigued by the little trashcans in women's stalls, you women know what I am talking about) So, I used the potty and DC proceeded to yell "Good job peeing, Mommy" I shushed her and out of the stall we went. There were a few women waiting to use the restroom and when we came out of the stall they all clapped for me. Oh My.

DC spent a few days at her grandparent's house where she had a few accidents. But, other than that, she is doing great. I just can't believe it.

I know it sounds weird and a little sad but I am REALLY proud of myself and of DC. I feel like I have accomplished a great feat. How silly is that?

I never really subscribed to one single method for potty training. I read lots of things when I was working with T, adapted them for him and then adapted all of my knowledge in working with DC. As I always knew, each kid is different and there is no one way to get it done.

While I won't win Mother of the Year this year (forgotten lunches, dressing them in shorts when it was cold, forgetting to send them with their coats...) I think that I at least deserve a gold star for this.

There is always next year for the "Mother of the Year" thing, and the next, and the next...

Julie

2 comments:

Cindy J said...

Yay Julie! This is a huge accomplishment, not to mention a big relief, I am sure. Way to go, Mom!

Nicole said...

"Good job peeing Mommy!" That is hilarious. I'll have to tell you what Matt's niece did in his parent's potty once ......