Friday, July 6, 2007

New Orleans Day 3

Last night we went to dinner with my Aunt Claire (my mother's sister) and Uncle Ralph and their son Ralph Jr. and his wife and two children. I had not seen my cousin Ralph Jr. and his wife since I was 8 years old so that was an interesting event. While I have not been in close contact with my Aunt and her family it really was nice to sit and talk with them. It really was a very fun evening. When you lose someone close to you it is always nice to be able to surround yourself with other people who knew that person.

For people that know me well, what I am about to tell you could come as a shock so hold on to you seats...

I ate oysters at dinner. Now, before you fall out of your chair completely let me tell you that first and foremost, they were NOT raw. I am not crazy! They were cooked on a grill with tons of cheese and garlic and other yummy spices. So, I hate to say this, but they tasted kind of like chicken. I only ate one and will probably never eat oysters again but at least I tried them right?? But, then I went back to my regular pattern and had grilled chicken for dinner while everyone else ate something seafoody. What can I say? I am not an adventurous eater.

After dinner Dad bought a cigar and we walked down Bourbon Street again. The crowds were bigger and more lively. The Essence Music Festival is in New Orleans this week and activities began on Thursday so people attending the festival were enjoying the French Quarter last night. Again, the weird images of families with kids standing outside of strip clubs.

I got up early this morning and went to mass at St. Louis Cathedral and then grabbed some beignets and coffee. I left Dad snoring in the room so he could sleep a little later.

If you ever decide to visit New Orleans, this hotel, Place d'Armes is the place to stay. The rates are cheap and the location is perfect. The rooms have a funky smell to them but not enough to kill you. They have complimentary breakfast and this great courtyard with tables, chairs and a small pool. They are not paying me to say this. I promise.

We are going to take a Mississippi River cruise on the Steamboat Natchez for lunch today which should be fun. We hope to get back together with my cousin Ralph and his family this evening and go crabbing. I will NOT be eating the crab, I can promise you that. I know my mother is rolling over in her grave right now but I just don't like seafood. Oh wait, she can't roll over in her grave because her remains are still sitting in a small box in Dad's house. Anyway...

I am flying back to Lexington early Saturday morning and I hope to post some pictures this weekend.



Julie

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Julie,

I am so proud of you for eating an oyster!

Anonymous said...

I'll just say that you've tried them for both of us and now I don't have to.

-Jen

Martins said...

It sounds like your trip has been just perfect - everything you could have asked for. What a blessing! Oh and Julie - eat a piece of crab meat for goodness sake. If you can do the oyster - you can do the crab then the whole "roll-over" thing isn't an issue :-). I ran past Matthew in the race on Wednesday. He was keeping Lexington nice and safe during the 10K. I yelled a friendly and breathless hello to him. Anyway - have a great time and absorb every minute of this special trip.

Blessed said...

Oysters rule!