Wednesday, July 4, 2007

New Orleans Day 1

I am currently on a trip to New Orleans with my father to see the city where my mother grew up. We are planning on visiting some of the places of my mother's youth: the house where she grew up, her elementary school, her high school, the church where my parents married. All were severly damaged in the 2005 Hurricane. We arrived in New Orleans today after 2 days of driving.

At the beginning of our trip I was optimistic about what we would see. But, as we were driving I started reading the AAA travel book for the city. There were so many places that are not open anymore that were surprising to me: The zoo, the streetcars, churches, museums, Six Flags amusement park. That made me sad. When we were about 50 miles out we saw a huge area filled with FEMA trailers. There must have been 3000 trailers. It was very strange.

As we got closer, the damage was becoming more visible. It was interesting because nature had repaired itself in the two years since the hurricane. Trees were green with leaves and other plants were just growing away. But, civilization was not so much. There were houses in middle class neighborhoods with no roof, apartment complexes that were abandoned and being prepared for demolition. It was really very eye opening.

We checked into our hotel: Place d'Armes Hotel in the French Quarter. Very quaint and neat little hotel. The French Quarter had little damage from the hurricane but since so many people either died or left the city after Katrina, there are many shops and restaraunts that are closed.

After we checked in we made a beeline to Cafe du Monde and had beignets and cafe au lait. YUMMMMY. It was wonderful. We met a couple who had lived in New Orleans but had evacuated before the hurricane to Ft. Lauderdale and decided to stay. They were back for a visit for the first time since August 2005. They were able to confirm some details we feared (my mother's house is gone) and give us some good news (Deanies Seafood is open)

Tomorrow we are planning to go to Mt. Carmel Academy (my mother's high school) and to Saint Anthony of Padua Catholic Church where my parents got married 40 years ago.

I am taking pictures but I forgot my mini USB cable so I can't upload any pictures. I promise to do that soon.



Julie

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Julie, I have always wanted to go to Cafe du Monde. I am so jealous! Still as wonderful as every?

Ning Zou said...

Julie,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful article with us. I already pictured how New Orleans looks like by reading your text without seeing any pictures. Enjoy your trip there!

Martins said...

Julie: Thanks for sharing this experience with us. I'm so glad you have this opportunity to go and visit your mother's home stomping ground. Best wishes for a safe and refreshing journey!

Alexandra said...

Julie,
Would you and Dad go back to Cafe du Monde before you leave and get your elbows stuck to the table just for me - thanks! Can't wait to see the pictures

Blessed said...

Hey Julie--
I love your blog!
I would love to have some beignets right now! I like'em alot.
There use to be a real good cajun restaurant here in town called
Furlongs. I worked there for a bit. The guy that ran the place was from Louisiana and he sure could cook and sure did have excellent recipes like his crawfish etouffe. To die for!

I am going to continue reading now.
By the way, surely you know who I am. I have a 'blog' name that I go by here in blogland.
But just incase, I will give you my first intial-- S --
Many blessings!