Friday, July 6, 2007

New Orleans Day 3-continued

Dad and I went on a steamboat cruise today. It was really very relaxing and interesting. The boat went about 8 miles up the Mississippi River, turned around and then came back. We saw more Katrina devastation as a large portion of the Port of New Orleans burned completely during the storm.

We walked around the French Quarter just taking in the sites and the people. When you get off the commercial streets in the quarter and into the more residential areas it is really nice. There are many properties for sale but they are a little out of my price range. I wonder if the number of properties for sale is normal for the French Quarter or because of Katrina.

For dinner we went to a neat little place called Hillery's on Toulouse. The food was excellent. We were the only ones in the place so that was a little weird. We got there a little after 6pm. I have two small kids, eating at 6pm is late for us but I guess most other adults and especially people in New Orleans eat much later. Either way, it was really nice.

Dad and I have really had a great time in New Orleans. I think that we were able to do everything we wanted to do. We were able to visit some places that reminded us of mom and that was nice. Ever since Katrina I just wondered what had become of the places that were so special to her. So, now I know.

We have to get up at 4:30 in the morning to be at the airport by 5:45. ICK! I hate flying so tomorrow should be a fun day for me. I should be back in Lexington with T by noon and then with the kids by 3pm. It has been a fun trip but I really miss home. I am ready to be in my own bed. I am very ready to put my kids to bed and then sneak in later and watch them sleep.



Julie

No comments: