Monday, July 9, 2007

Learning 2.0 Myspace

It was interesting to see what other libraries are doing with Myspace. About a year ago a few of us here at EKU toyed with an EKU Libraries Myspace page. We created it and actually started to add friends but there was a lot of debate about whether students really wanted us in their social networking world. Plus, at the time, Myspace was losing ground to Facebook in popularity. So, we abandoned our Myspace page and took up creating a profile in Facebook.

I do like what other libraries are doing with Myspace. I really wonder whether students wander upon their libraries in Myspace and actually use the page. I doubt that much traffic happens that way. I do think it would be nice to point people to the page and let them know they can get assistance from the page. But, I doubt much traffic happens that way either.

I think students want to use social networking sites to do just that, be social. When they need to do research or homework, they will visit the library web page, wikipedia, Google...

I think the statistics from the EKU Library IM service would prove that. We had good business with IM when students contacted us through their IM service. But, when we added the Meebo Widget, traffic picked up dramatically. Why? Because we were in the path of their research.

Just my thoughts.

No comments: