Saturday, August 18, 2007

Whirlwind weeks

Wow, it has been a crazy last couple of weeks. We spent a week on a family trip (remember, it was NOT a vacation) and had a good time. There were 13 people in a house really made for about 10. There were 4 separate families trying to figure out how to all live together. We had to compromise and figure out what we were going to eat and when, who was going to sleep where and when and then there was the constant shuffle of 5 different cars in the driveway. It did not help matters that 2 cars were company cars that could only be driven by certain people. There were car seats to worry about as well. Throw in a few rainy days spent inside and one lost pair of glasses in the ocean. We all survived, managed to have some fun and we are planning on doing it again, just maybe not next year.

We returned from the trip (after about 10 hours of driving) only to find out a few hours later that our Grandmother, Zelda, had passed away. So, it was back in the car for the four Silver siblings and Dad to head up to Philadelphia for the services. Zelda was 88 years old when she died. Since as long as I can remember I always thought that I had the coolest Grandmom around. While other kids I knew were getting sweaters with pictures of puppies on them from their grandparents, Grandmom Zelda was taking me shopping at the Gap. Her collection of Coach purses was awesome and her jewelry was absolutely amazing. She was not the typical grandmother but she was mine and I will miss her terribly. A saying that described her was "Whatever Zelda wants, Zelda gets" Sounds kind of selfish but it was just her. I learned at her memorial service that her name Zelda means "rare" I can't tell you how perfectly that describes my Grandmom Zelda. We also learned from the Cantor (kind of like a rabbi but not) that her Hebrew name was Shana which means "beautiful" So, Zelda, Rare Beauty has left us. I miss her already and think about her all the time.

So, back in the car we all went after the services and drove back home. In those 4 days (96 hours) I spent 34 of them in a car. YUCK! We will all be getting back together over Labor Day Weekend for my cousin's wedding. I look forward to spending time celebrating something happy with my family. I know Zelda would have a lot to say about the wedding (what people were wearing, who looked good, who did not etc.) I will be thinking of her and smiling for sure.

One thing that the Cantor shared with us at the memorial service is that we should not be counting our days but rather making our days count. I like that and I will try to do that.

1 comment:

Blessed said...

May Zelda rest in peace and know
you rock!!!!!!!!!!