Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hurricane Katrina

As the two year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina is upon us I thought I would post a video that I found. New Orleans holds a special place in my heart because it is the place where my mother was born and grew up. No matter how long my mother had been away from New Orleans, it was always home to her. I remember sitting on my sofa over Labor Day weekend in 2005 watching the hurricane coverage. My daughter was about 6 months old at the time and it just tore me up to see tiny little babies who were the same age as my daughter who were starving and burning up in the heat as they waited for someone to rescue them. And there I was in my nice air-conditioned house able to jut make a bottle for my daughter without even thinking about it. I still think about those babies today and wonder about them. Visiting there just a few months ago was a very sobering experience. I was so surprised to still see so much devastation after two years.

2 comments:

Blessed said...

I can remember sitting there watching TV and seeing all the horrible footage. It is tho it just wasn't 'real'. As tho the suffering and devastation wasn't registering.
I guess I was in shock but the tears did come over and over.
It broke my heart. It was always a dream of mine to visit New Orleans.
I wish I had could have visited it before. Maybe one day I still will.
I'm sure it's just not the same.
I still fear for that city.

Betina said...

Julie,

Thank you for reminding us. It is too easy to forget.

B