Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Your body is a temple

Today would have been my mother's 65th birthday. As most of you who read this blog know, my mother, Dorothy Claire Preston Silver passed away after a very long battle with Ovarian Cancer in June of 2004. My mother did everything right when it came to taking care of her body. She never smoked (well, there was that one time in Miami when she smoked a cigar), rarely drank (well, we did hear some stories involving a boat, beer and nights spent on Lake Pontchartrain), ate well most of the time (the whole family suffered through the time when we thought our brother was allergic to wheat and she experimented with many interesting gluten free products back in the 70's when it was not hip to eat gluten free, ick), exercised (she walked around the big parking lot at work every morning before heading into work) always had regular checkups and just generally took great care of herself. Her diagnosis of stage IV Ovarian Cancer in 1983 came as a shock to all of us. But, in 1983 we did not know what we know today and there are so many things we can all do to make sure we don't have to suffer as she did.

So, in memory of my mom. Here are the facts:
  1. Ovarian cancer kills more women than all other gynecologic malignancies combined.
  2. Ovarian cancer very often is not accompanied by symptoms until the disease is advanced.
  3. Because early stage ovarian cancer is very often curable and advanced stage ovarian cancer carries a poor prognosis for survival, beating ovarian cancer is dependent upon early detection.
  4. Women with an elevated risk profile for ovarian cancer (usually due to family history) are most likely to be monitored or screened for ovarian cancer. However the vast majority of ovarian cancers do not arise from women at high risk because this group is small.
  5. Most ovarian cancers occur in women who are over the age of 50 and do not have any symptoms.
  6. Ovarian cancer screening of women over age 50 is not being recommended as a part of the standard of care.
  7. The costs to treat one woman with advanced stage ovarian cancer (surgery, chemotherapy, palliative care) is $200,000 or more, with outcomes unlikely to be successful.
Here is what you can do:

  • If you are over 50 years old or are over 30 and have a family history of Ovarian Cancer you can receive a FREE yearly trans vaginal ultrasound at the University of Kentucky. For more information visit here.
  • Make and keep yearly checkups with an OB/GYN.
  • Listen to your body. Ovarian Cancer used to be called the "silent killer" but now experts in the field say there are symptoms but you must pay attention to them. They are:
    • bloating
    • pelvic or abdominal pain
    • trouble eating or feeling full quickly
    • urinary symptoms, such as urgent or frequent feelings of needing to go
    • you can visit the American Cancer Society for more info on symptoms
For more information on Ovarian Cancer you can visit these sites:

National Ovarian Cancer Coalition

National Cancer Institute
Gilda Radner Familial Ovarian Cancer Registry

My mother always said "Your body is a temple" So, in memory of my mom, be good to your temple, listen to it and take care of it.

24 comments:

Alexandra said...

Love you Julie!

Melissa said...

Thanks for this, Julie! Your mom would be proud. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job! Your mom would indeed be proud.

Anonymous said...

Mary Anne :-)

Thank you for the beautiful message about Aunt Dottie. I miss and love her so much. Ironically, I am in Wash DC today for a meeting and I stopped by Arlington cemetery to see Mom. I asked her to help Valerie, Dad and I. Lately, I have not slep my best, eaten the best and have not taken care of myself as I usually do. I asked Mom to help me turn this around. I am now in the airport and just read your blog. Something tells me that Aunt Dottie and Mom are upstairs trying to help me get past this difficult time by reminding me that my body is a temple!!

If you listen closely, I truly believe they are still communicating with us.

I hope all is well- take care!

Vanessa

Life is Art said...

Your mom is living in you and inspiring you to help other women. I love you for always fighting for all of us.

Bobbi

Ning Zou said...

Julie, thanks for sharing the nice message with us. Your mom would be proud :)

Leah said...

You're awesome.

Martins said...

Julie - Your mother was/is a wonderful woman. Her legacy lives on through you in so many amazing ways. For instance, the way you help educate and protect the women in your life. Thanks for caring enough to share this with us. I'm passing it on to women I know and love!

Anonymous said...

Am I the only male to read this. I would comment, but I'm in tears and can't see the screen too well.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Julie
What a wonderful tribute to your mother. I remember her fondly. She was such a strong woman who loved her family very much. All the wonderful memories of hanging out at the Silver's are flooding back. Thanks for the memories and thanks for helping us remember to listen to our bodies.

Love,
Cheryl (Gerhab) Vassallo

Thanks for passing this on, Casey.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Julie! I never knew your mom, but I know she must have been one amazing lady to have raised such fabulous girls as you all. Thank you for such helpful information!

Anonymous said...

No you are not the only male to read this Mr. Silver...Hope you are doing well Juji...thanks for the information...Take care and I will talk to you soon...Bill

Anonymous said...

Julie,
But "being a George" is so you!! You do it so well! Mothers are the best! My mother is battling cancer and your right it is not easy! Thanks for sharing! Your children are adorable!
Love ya

Judy Dant

Blessed said...

Miss Julie I must say that was a great post in memory of your mom.
You are so inspiring. I was attracted to you from day one
NO!!! Not that way!) You have such a light that shines from within you and one cannot help but be like a moth to a flame. Thank you for your caring, loving, thoughtful ways. YOU make this world such a better place. I am
so blessed to know you and call you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Your mom was my favorite "mom of a friend" back when we were all in highschool. Always a lot of fun to talk to. Miss you all

Kevin Prevatte

Betina said...

Julie,

I am amazed at you and your tender care of all the people in your life. YOU are an incredible monument to the awesome woman your mother was. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for all the wonderful info. I think about your mom so much and can still hear her voice in my head at times. She was always like a mother to me and I miss her. I know she is smiling keep up the good work, you are awesome.
Love ya, Maureen

Kelly Smith said...

Julie, thank you so much for posting this. Beth Broderson, my amazing midwife who delivered Colin, also died after a battle with ovarian cancer. During Colin's delivery (about 4 months prior to her death) she wore an oxygen tank in a little backpack on her back. Colin was born at about 2 in the morning, and a few hours later, Beth drove to Knoxville for an experimental chemo treatment.

http://web.qx.net/studio246/beth/page1/page1.html

http://grievingwithguinever.wordpress.com/tribute-to-beth/

Anonymous said...

I thought of my friend Dottie and your wonderful family all day yesterday and the precious memories that you all have given to me...the best friends I have ever had. Thank you for being so wonderful to share your gift of caring with all of us.

Anonymous said...

I only met your Mom once, but have heard such wonderful stories about her & your family's adventures. Thank you, Alexandra, for sharing this with me. I know she was a great lady because of the family she has & I am glad Scott is part of that now (I also feel we are a small part of that - hope that's ok). I believe in angels & I hope your Mom & my Mom have met in that heavenly kingdom - I am sure they watch over us. Fondly, Sheila

Anonymous said...

I loved your mom to.I can proudly say that i had a hand in helping her to become the woman we all knew,loved and respected.I am her brother. Uncle R.

genealogyismything said...

I only met your mom once. She took great care of me before surgery. I will always be grateful for that. I'm glad you are sharing her inspiring message.
Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Julie that was beautiful and very well said. You are an amazing person. Aunt Eileen

Anonymous said...

A powerful way to remind us all to care of ourselves and our families. I never got to meet your mom, but she shines so brightly in every one of you!-- Brandy