Friday, November 30, 2007

Learning 2.0 Lessons 12 and 13-tagging

The Learning 2.0 program here at the library is winding down. All the lessons are due in the next few weeks. I was really good about keeping up and then I went on vacation and I just never got back into the swing of things. So, now I have about two weeks to finish 10 lessons. EEK! It is somewhat sad that 10 years after I finished grad school, my procrastinating tendencies have not changed. Ok, so here goes:

We are learning about tagging. The idea of tagging is a new concept on the Web world but for us librarians, we have been doing some form of tagging for years. We call them subject headings but they are tagging none the less. If I go to Google and type in "kentucky football" I get 2,720,000 hits with the official UK Athletics website being the first hit. It is pretty amazing how Google usually gets it right. Anyway, when I go to the EKU Libraries online catalog eQuest and type in the same search I get a totally different set of results. I only found 5 books in the library that have something to do with UK football when I do a keyword search. Now, if I go back to the library catalog and search by subject heading (the librarians way of tagging) I find nothing. HMMM, interesting. No wonder our students are often frustrated when they can't find anything in our library.

Another neat tool that uses tagging is called Del.icio.us It is a social bookmarking site that allows you to bookmark sites and they are portable. That means once you log into your account, your bookmarks will be there no matter what computer you are using. Another neat feature is that you can share your bookmarks and see other people's bookmarks. This is the kind of tool that I could definitely spend a lot more time playing with.

No comments: